Roasted butternut squash, onions & garlic sauteed with my lemongrass yellow Thai curry paste stewed with broth, coconut milk and chickpeas. Garnished with fresh cilantro this curry is simply addictive! top it off with protein of choice, i added smoked tofu for a complete meal.
If you don't feel like making your own Curry paste i recommend using
both of GEO Thai yellow and green curry pastes will work very well in this recipe
difficulty level: easy
equipment needed: none
yield: 12-13 cups
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 43 minutes
what you need:
- 2 lbs cubed organic butternut squash. yes you can peel and cube a squash yourself, but buying ready made cubed squash is a fantastic shortcut!!
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves skin on, very tops of clove cut
- 1/3 cup lemongrass yellow Thai curry paste or Thai store bought curry paste. Avoid curry sauces, this will not produce the same flavor
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 cups broth, I use Imagine No-chicken broth
- 1 can of chickpeas. If you are Paleo simply omit chickpeas
- 1 tbsp oil divided in half
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- place garlic cloves on a small foil square, drizzle with 1/2 tbsp oil, seal packet tightly
- spray large oven sized baking sheet with oil, add chopped onion and squash to tray, spray liberally with oil, toss with hands, spread evenly on the baking sheet, spray again. nestle garlic packet on baking tray
- place baking tray into oven for 30 minutes
- once butternut is cooked take out of oven and set aside
- preheat a large saucepan or braiser on medium
- add 1/2 tbsp oil and 1/3 cup curry paste, mix and saute for 3 minutes
- meanwhile squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins and mash cloves with a fork
- add broth, coconut milk, chickpeas, butternut squash garlic and onions.
- bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer uncovered 15 minutes stirring occasionally
Voila!! Super healthy Butternut squash curry is ready to eat, sprinkle on some fresh cilantro, or toasted peanuts, add smoked tofu or eat just by itself!