Incredibly satisfying yet low calorie & low carb creamy pea soup... what's the secret?? I used sugar snap peas in place of regular peas, yes I did! honestly i was just having a creative kitchen moment, made this beautiful snap pea soup, and realized, omg this states like pea soup, except it is super low carb and low calorie!
difficulty level: super easy
yield: 16 cups
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
- 2 large sauce pans
what you need:
- 45 oz strigless organic sugar snap peas. I got 2 large bags at whole foods, you can find this in almost any grocery store these days. the snap peas being stringless reduces the prep, no need to remove the strings, ready to cook.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1.5 cup onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 9 cups No-Chicken broth, i used Imagine brand
- cooking oil spray
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
what to do:
- preheat a large saucepan on medium high, spray with oil, add onions, saute 5 minutes
- meanwhile Bring a large sauce pan 2/3 full of salted water to a boil.
- prepare a large Tupperware full with ice water, use a lot of ice cubes and add 1-2 tbsp of salt to the water, this will considerably drop the temperature of the ice bath.
- when the water is boiling, dump the snap peas into the water and let cook 1 minutes, no more then 1.5 minutes, quickly drain into a colander and place drained snap peas in the ice water
- this blanches the peas, keeps their color a vibrant and preserves their delicate pea flavor.
- meanwhile after 5 minutes reduce the heat on the sauteing onions to medium
- push onions towards the edge, spray middle of pan, add garlic, spray, saute 45 seconds maximum
- add broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil, cover and let simmer on high 20 minutes
- once snap peas are completely cold to the touch, drain them again in a colander
- remove the cauliflower & onions in broth off the heat, add the blanched drained snap peas and tbsp vegan butter
- working in batches puree the soup ingredients until smooth
- add salt and pepper to taste
this recipe makes a giant batch, it will last in the frideg for a week and a half, and in the freezer for 2 months
A perfect low calorie snack