Super cheesy creamy guilt free queso! a perfect game day snack you can actually feel good about eating. What's more amazing is that this cheesy decadent queso is completely dairy free!! do not tell your family what's it made of... just casually serve it and watch it disappear! Liquid gold people at only 132 calories per 1/2 cup, compared to 340 calories per cup in regular queso dip!
I love serving this dip with sweet potato chips, beet chips or organic blue corn chips, yummm!
difficulty level: beginner
equipment needed: high powered blender
yields: 2 cups
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 13 minutes
what you need:
- 1 cup finely chopped onion, roughly 1 small onion
- 1/4 chopped carrot
- 3 large garlic cloves finely minced or finely grated on a cheese grater or micropane,
- 1 cups broth, No-chicken imagine brand is the best flavor and color wise for this recipe
- 1 cup very thinly chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup soaked pumpkin seeds (place seeds in water for 8 hours or overnight)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, or smoked paprika if you do not like spicy
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 10 tbsp dry nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp arrowroot mixed with 1 tbsp water
- cooking oil spray
- note: to kick up the smokiness & spice you can add more chipotle powder or smoked paprika
what to do:
- preheat medium sauce pan pan or dutch oven on medium high, spray with cooking oil and saute onions for 7 minutes, deglazing pan with 1-2 tbsp broth as needed.
- reduce heat to medium, push onions to sides of pan, spray cooking oil at center, add garlic, spray garlic, gently spread it out at center, saute 30 -45 seconds maximum
- add 1 cups broth, cauliflower, carrots, pumpkin seeds, turmeric & mustard
- bring to a boil, cover, reduce to medium and let simmer (a high simmer) for 10 minutes. it is crucial to keep the pan covered, this prevents the broth from evaporating and allows the cauliflower to cook through.
- remove pan from heat, carefully pour everything into blender
- add nutritional yeast and blend on high at least one minute.
- stop, scrape down sides, add pepper or more chipotle according to preference
- blend again on high, slowly drizzle in the well mixed arrowroot water slurry through the top of the blender, let blend 1 minutes.
ready to serve! this keeps in the fridge for over a week... if it lasts that long ;)
I love serving it cold, but you can absolutely reheat it before serving. #snackattack :)