Savory Tuscan Polenta bread with shallots & herbs. This richly textured bread is especially delicious warm topped with a bit of vegan butter or drizzled with a touch of extra virgin olive oil.
This goes perfect with a bowl of soup or by itself as a satisfying savory breakfast.
difficulty level: beginner
yields: 8 generous slices
equipment needed: a 8 - 9 inch cast iron pan, ceramic pie dish or non stick round pie pan.
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
what you need:
for dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup organic polenta corn grits (link below)
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (link below)
- 1 tsp powdered stevia
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- optional: 1/2 tsp xanthum gum (link below)
for wet ingredients:
- 2 vegan eggs: 2 tbsp ground flaxe mixed well with 4 tbsp hot water, let sit 5 min
- 1 cup coconut cream. I keep a can of coconut milk in the fridge (do not shake), open it and scoop up the solid white, that is the cream.
- 3/4 cup coconut water, which is the leftover liquid in the coconut milk can. or unflavored almond milk
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter or avocado oil or olive oil.
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots or red onion.
- fresh herb of choice, if you use rosemary or thyme, only use 1 tsp, if you use basil or parsley you can use up to 1/4 cup as their flavor is much milder
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a whisk, letting everything combine evenly
- in a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients, mix well, add shallots and herbs, mix again
- add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix well with a spatula until no dry flour is visible.
- let this mixture sit covered on the counter top for a minimum 60 minutes or overnight. The polenta is a rougher grind, which gives beautiful texture, but if not allowed to sit/soak will turn out too gritty. over night soaking will actually start a bit of fermentation which will make the grains more easily digested.
- when ready to bake, place your cast iron or pie pan in the oven, preheat oven to 375, do not grease pan as it heats up with the oven
- take hot pan out of oven (careful!!!), spray well with cooking oil, pour the polenta batter into pan, use spatula to even it out and smooth top
- bake at 375 for 20 minutes
- reduce heat to 350 bake 10 minutes more
- optional, sprinkle with vegan Parmesan and broil 6 inches away from element for 1-2 minutes
- take out and let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing