Creamy decadent Kale Mac & cheese, satisfying comfort food that's guilt free! Sauteed onions & garlic add an incredible depth of flavor, this dairy free cheese sauce is made with cauliflower, just a touch of cashews & finished with a whole cup of kale
if you DO NOT TELL THEM THIS IS HEALTH FOOD!!!! ;) They will never know!
I chose green lentil pasta, naturally gluten free, rich in plant based protein & tastes delish!!
only 102 calories per 1/2 cup serving, 12 g net carbs & 7 grams of protein
difficulty level: easy
yield: 12 cups
- high powdered blender
- 12" non stick pan with a lid or large braiser
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 17 minutes
what you need:
for the "cheese" sauce:
- 1 cup finely chopped onion, roughly 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves (or 3 big ones) finely minced or finely grated on a cheese grater or micropane, mixed with 1 tsp oil in a ramekin.
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp broth
- 1 cup very thinly chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp dry nutritional yeast (link below)
- black pepper or cayenne, or both according to preference
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder, or corn starch, mixed with 2 tsp water.
- 1 cup packed baby kale
- cooking oil spray
- 3 x 6 oz packages gluten free Tolerant Foods green lentil pasta (link below)
what to do:
- place medium saucepan on stove, fill with water, bring to a boil and cook elbow pasta 8 minutes( it says 6 minuteson package, cook 8 - 9). drain, do NOT rinse, and set aside. NOT rinsing is important, it helps the pasta absorb the sauce, preventing the sauce from sliding off of the pasta.
- meanwhile preheat pan or braiser on medium high, pray pan and onions, saute/caramelize the onions on medium to medium high for 7 minutes, deglazing pan with 1-2 tbsp broth as needed.
- reduce heat to medium, push onions to sides of pan, add garlic and 1 tsp oil mixture to middle of pan, gently spread it out at center, saute 45 seconds
- add remaining 2 cups broth, cauliflower, cashews, turmeric & mustard and nutritional yeast
- bring to a boil, cover, reduce to medium and let simmer (a high simmer) for 15 minutes. it is crucial to keep the pan covered, this prevents the broth from evaporating and allows the cauliflower to cook through.
- remove pan from heat, carefully pour everything into blender
- stop, scrape down sides, add pepper or cayenne according to preference
- add the cup of baby kale and blend one minute
- stop, scrape sides blend again on high, slowly drizzle in the well mixed arrowroot slurry through the top of the blender, let blend 1 minute
- place the cooked pasta in a bowl
- pour this delicious creamy sauce over the pasta, mix well, top off with a bit of fresh parsley & vegan Parmesan I tossed 2 more cups of tender baby kale with the sauced pasta, just as it was still hot, this will lightly blanch the kale. If using regular (not baby) kale, i would probably chop it up and steam for a bit by itself before adding