Yes epic! an addictive combination of fluffy mashed cauliflower & celery root with just a touch of dairy free butter & yogurt, I guarantee you will have a hard time having only one serving!
A vegan, low calorie, low carb, Paleo mash at only 68 calories & 7 grams net carbs per one whole cup. This is a delicious & healthy mash alternative that will fill you up, without requiring an extra hour on the treadmill ;)
difficulty level: easy
- food processor, you could use a ricer but it would require a lot more elbow grease
- large sauce pan, large braiser or 12" pan with a lid
yields: 12 cups
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
what you need:
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 medium large celery roots, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 garlic sliced into a few pieces (not too thin)
- 7 tbsp plain unsweetened coconut yogurt, I use SoDelicious brand.
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp dry inactive nutritional yeast
- roughly 1 - 1.5 tsp salt & pepper to taste
Note: If you want a milder celery flavor, use 2 heads of cauliflower & only 1 celery root
what to do:
- place saucepan/braiser/pan on stove, place celery root cubes at the bottom, top with cauliflower, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt
- fill up with water so that it at least completely coveres the celery root cubes by 1/2 and inch, more if your pan allows
- bring to a boil, cover and cook 30 minutes
- pour into colander or large strainer, let water drain completely
- mu food processor is not large so i had to process the mash in 3 batches, adding some of the butter yogurt and seasoning to each batch.
- I processed 1 batch slightly less to give more texture
- place all 3 batches together in a large tupperware/bowl mix well, taste and adjust seasoning according to preference
I served this sprinkled with a touch of fresh parsley a tiny bit of extra vegan butter on top and sprinkled with my Paleo skinny "bread" crumbs
This is a perfect healthy side dish to add to your holiday table. I love having this for dinner with some protein, It's a great way to eat your veggies but get that filling comfort food carb feeling.