A healthy twist on a classic Spanish rice dish, Steel cut oat Paella with sauteed mushrooms, onions, thinly sliced bell peppers, san marzano tomatoes, kalamata olives, smoked paprika and of course saffron.
This recipe yields 12 cups of yummy Paella, full of veggies, perfect for lunches, dinners and even savory breakfasts.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 65 minutes
equipment needed: a large braiser, or a 13" non stick pan with a lid.
what you need:
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced into 4.
- 8-12 oz oyster mushrooms torn by hands (or another 8 oz crimini)
- 1/2 cup pitted olives halved lengthwise (i prefer kalamata olives)
- 1/2 a bell pepper, i used red pepper, thinly sliced into 1 inch long pieces
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced or grated on a fine cheese grater or micropane, mixed with 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 1/4 cups red onion finely chopped
- 1 x 15 oz can san marzano tomatoes crushed.
- optional: 2/3 cup tofurky brand "chorizo"
- 1/2 cup pinot grigio or any decent dry wine
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder, add more if you like it smokey
- 1 pinch saffron threads = 20 threads
- 2 cups steel cut oats, I used Bob's red mill organic steel cut oats. read the label carefully, you don't want quick cooking steel cut oats. You can find this at your local health food store on Amazon. I buy it on Amazon in a 4 pack, comes out way cheaper then in local stores.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 6 cups broth
- cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
what to do:
- in a large saucepan bring broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer
- once broth is simmering add 20 crushed saffron threads and cover saucepan, keep on low heat. i crushed the saffron in a ramekin, with the back of a teaspoon.
- meanwhile preheat braiser on medium high, spray with cooking oil, add mushrooms, spray them, and cook 9 minutes.
- remove mushrooms from pan, set aside
- spray pan with cooking oil, add tofurkey chorizo (if not using simply skip), cook 3 minutes
- add onions, spary, mix well and saute 5 minutes
- add pepper, spary, mix well saute 7 minutes more
- reduce heat to medium, push onion pepper mixture to sides of pan, add garlic and oil mixture in the ceter, saute 1 minute
- deglaze pan with wine, mix well, cook 3 minutes.
- add mushrooms back in to pan
- add canned tomatoes and paprika, mix well
- add steel cut oats and quinoa, mix well
- slowly add broth, mix well, bring to a low boil, mix, cover and reduce heat to medium low
- simmer for 25 minutes covered
- uncover, mix well cook 10 more minutes stirring occasionally
- remove from heat, cover and let sit 10 minutes
- add fresh parsley and olives and mix well
An incredibly healthy and satisfying steel cut oat veggie Paella is ready to serve, you can drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil, or squeeze some fresh lemon Yumm!!