Ratatouille is a classic french vegetable stew of Provence, typically consisting of zucchini, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and garlic, served hot or cold.
Here I simplified the cooking process by oven roasting the vegetables, this makes this Ratatouille, well simple :) all the cooking is oven hands free time and you get the beautiful roasted flavor of the veggies
The key to getting the vegetables to cook evenly, is to slice them thinly and evenly, this is such a simple rustic and yet very elegant dish, you can easily serve this at a fancy dinner party, or as a simple side dish for lunch or even at a picnic :)
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 - 27 minutes
- a large oven sized baking sheet, or two small ones
- a mandolin vegetable slicer is ideal for this recipe, it allows you to thinly, evenly and quickly prep most of your veggies; you can however use a knife, with just a lil more elbow grease ;)
what you need:
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (very fast with mandolin)
- 2 medium yellow squashes, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (very fast with mandolin)
- 1 small onion very thinly sliced; cut into quarters lengthwise & thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot cut in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices (very quick on mandolin)
- 1 large garlic clove finely grated on a cheese grater or micropane
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp Italian dried herb mix or herbs de provence (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- black pepper to preference
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 455 degrees
- line a large oven sized baking sheet with foil and spray/ grease foil well.
- place all veggies on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil, sprinkle Italian herbs/herbs de provence, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, mix well with your hands, then spread evenly onto the baking sheet
- spray lightly with cooking spray and place in oven on middle rack for 20 minutes
- take baking sheet out of oven once the 20 minutes have elapsed, turn broil element on
- mix the veggies with two spatulas, spread evenly again, spray lightly and place in oven two racks below broil element, broil 4-7 minutes this will depend on your preference and the oven. you can leave the oven door lightly opened this will keep the broil element on.
- do keep a close eyes on the veggies at this point, you want roasted caramelized, but not burnt.
Voila a big pile of roasted caramelized super tasty super healthy veggies, serve hot or cold, mix in with some cooked quinoa, throw on to fresh salad for a roasted veggie flavor boost, or even mix with a bit of vegan parm and add to pasta.
Super simple super nutritious and super yummy! :)