Brownies you can feel good about eating! These are a a great way to satisfy your chocolate cravings in a guilt free way, zero sugar added, only 75 calories per brownie with only 8 grams net carbs and 3 grams of protein!
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
equipment needed: food processor
what you need:
- 1 cup packed zucchini slices (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup back beans drained, preferably unsalted (you can use salted) or Aduki beans
- 3 vegan eggs, 3 tbsp flax meal mixed well with 6 tbsp boiling water and let stand 3 minutes
- 3 dates chopped
- 3-4 tsp stevia powder, according to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Valrhona; you can find this on amazon or at your local health food store.
- 1.5 oz unsweetened chocolate, roughly 3 squares, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour, I used 1 to 1 Bob's red mill gluten free flour.
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 scoop Vega plant-based Protein Smoothie powder, in Choc-o-lot flavor, or chocolate protein powder of choice.
i love using this protein powder in desserts and in smoothies
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice. keep the 2 tbsp on the side, and add if your batter looks too dry
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 2-3 tbsp of chocolate chips of choice and some pistachio dust, this is completely optional, and can be used as topping for the brownies
*Teff flour is naturally gluten free and very high in resistant starch which is prebiotic and helps with weight loss. you can substitute with oat flour.
what to do:
- grease an 8" x 8" baking pan, preferably Pyrex, but non stick will do.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- place all ingredients (except chocolate chips and pistachio dust) in food processor and whirl away, adding an extra tbsp of almond milk if batter seems too dry, stop scrape down sides and whirl again. Let the mixture process for at least a minute until very smooth
Note: you can add a tsp of baking powder, i personally like my brownies more dense so prefer no baking powder.
- pour batter into pan, distribute mixture with spatula and tap pan on a towel on the counter top to distribute well.
- place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 38 minutes
- take brownies out, turn off oven
- if using chocolate chips, sprinkle on top of warm brownies and place in oven (with heat off) for 2 minutes, the residual heat in the oven will slightly melt the chocolate chips, you can then use a spoon or spatula to spread/smear them on top of the brownies
- let brownies cool on counter top at least 15 minutes before cutting. you can store them in a container in the fridge, these go great with berries or obviously just by themselves :) an excellent post workout snack!