Incredible flavor, super low carb and so simple to make. Roasted zucchini, summer squash, bell pepper with broccolini garlic and thinly sliced onions, served on a bed of zucchini noodles, otherwise known as zoodles.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 27 minutes
- a large oven sized baking sheet, or two small ones
- a mandolin slicer will speed up the prep but is not necessary
- 12" non stick frying pan
what you need:
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized on the thin setting on your spiralizer, set aside
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (very fast with mandolin)
- 2 medium yellow squashes, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (very fast with mandolin)
- 1 small onion very thinly sliced; cut into quarters lengthwise & thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot cut in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices (very quick on mandolin)
- 1 large garlic clove finely grated on a cheese grater or micropane
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp Italian dried herb mix (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- black pepper to preference
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 455 degrees
- line a large oven sized baking sheet with foil and spray/ grease foil well.
- place all cut veggies (not the zucchini noodles) on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil, sprinkle Italian herbs 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, mix well with your hands, then spread evenly onto the baking sheet
- spray lightly with cooking spray and place in oven on middle rack for 20 minutes
- preheat non stick pan on medium high, lightly spray pan with oil.
- add zucchini noodles, sprinkle 1/8th tsp salt, 1/4 tsp onion powder and lightly spray them
- cook zoodles for 5 minutes flipping occasionally. then remove from heat and set aside
- take baking sheet out of oven once the 20 minutes have elapsed, turn broil element on
- mix the veggies with two spatulas, spread evenly again, spray lightly and place in oven two racks below broil element, broil 4-7 minutes this will depend on your preference and the oven. you can leave the oven door lightly opened this will keep the broil element on.
- do keep a close eyes on the veggies at this point, you want roasted caramelized, but not burnt.
- mix zoodles with roasted veggies, or place zoodles on plate and top with veggies
- add a touch of salt and pepper to preference, i sprinkled some vegan Parmesan on top.
this is a seriously delicious, addictive dish you can dive into, guilt free & super healthy. You can absolutely use regular pasta of choice here and mix it with the veggies.