Zero carb magical shirataki noodles star in this rendition of a classicly inspired pad Thai noodle stir fry. This dish gives you that satisfying umami noodle stir fry flavor, with ...yep ZERO carbs!
Shirataki noodles come from a yam-like tuber. Glucomannan starch is extracted from the tubers, then mixed with water and limewater to turn it into a substance called konnyaku. Konnyaku is then shredded into traditional shirataki noodles.
Glucomanan is the highest source of soluble fiber, and soluble fiber is a weight loss aid, so zero carbs & weight loss support... yes please!!
If you are a beginner to authentic Thai ingredients, no worries i will offer some substitutions, as Fish sauce, a staple of Thai cooking, is definitely an acquired taste & not vegan, it can easily be switched with soy sauce for a completely plant based pad thai. tamarind paste, another classic thai cooking ingredient is sometimes hard to find, specifically organic tamarind paste, you can use lime juice in stead.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
equipment needed: 12" non stick pan, preferably ceramic non stick
What you need:
- 2 packages shirataki noodles, "miracle noodles" brand, angel hair noodle shape, well rinsed & drained. you can find these on Amazon
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tamarind paste *or 1.5 tbsp lime juice. you can find organic Tamarind paste at whole foods, it is a thick dark kind of sour paste, it is actually awesome in BBQ sauces too; you can also find some on Amazon.
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or fish sauce if you are not vegan. you can find fish sauce in most grocery stores in the Asian ingredient section.
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- medium shallot finely chopped (2 tbsp)
- 1 bunch green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3.5 oz (1 cup) mung bean sprouts fresh
- 1/2 tbsp oil
What to do:
- large oven sized baking sheet, lined with foil and lightly greased
- preheat oven 425 convection, spread noodles out on bake sheet, bake noodles 15 minutes
- take noodles out, flip, spread around again, bake 10 min more
- sprinkle with salt and onion powder set aside. this step of dry toasting the noodles is the key to getting these to have the right texture and also help them absorb flavor much much better.
for stir fry
- mix all sauce ingredients well, whisking with a fork until well combined, set aside.
- Preheat 12" non stick pan over medium high heat
- add 1/2 tbsp oil garlic and shallots. Saute 1 min
- add noodles and 2 tbsp sauce, saute 1 min
- add scallions saute 1 min more
- add bean sprouts and 3 tablespoons sauce, saute 1 minute
- sprinkle with fresh cilantro and mint and chopped up peanuts or sesame seeds
- eat to your heart's content!! :)