This salad is the low calorie love child of a Greek salad & tabbouleh! A great way to have your good carbs & salad in one recipe, just add a protein and voila, lunches snacks and dinners are ready! A nutritional powerhouse with quinoa, black beans, canellini beans and a ton of veggies!
This recipe yields 8 cups; in other words 16 servings from just a bit of effort.
Difficulty level: beginner
equipment needed: none
prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 40
Note: I prep DOUBLE the amount of cooked quinoa & beans for this recipe, and simply freeze the surplus, this way in 3 week I can just defrost and make this awesome recipe again in 15 minutes! If you would like to make just enough for this recipe, cut the amounts of quinoa broth and beans described below in half.
What you need:
for quinoa & beans:
- 3 cups dry quinoa
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 15 oz can canellini beans
- 7 cups of broth
- 1/4 tsp salt (if your beans are sodium free add more salt)
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1/4 tsp tumeric (optional)
- 1 cup roma cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise (cherubs is my favorite brand)
- 1 small/medium firm zucchini, cut into 1/4s lengthwise ends trimmed; seeded, then cut each quarter into 3 long strips, and cut zucchini into little cubes.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olives each cut into 3 little rings. i used 1/4 cup green and 1/4 black, simply because i had both
- 2 green onions finely chopped. This is optional, i use this salad for my lunches, and I work closely with people all day.... sooo I skip the onions! :) and just add some at home for dinner (poor Ian!)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (and some extra on the side to adjust flavor)
- 1/8 tsp powdered stevia
- black pepper to taste
what to do:
- in a large saucepan combine quinoa, beans, broth and spices, bring to a boil stirring occasionally
- stir one more time, cover and reduce heat to medium low, cook 25 minutes
- open, stir everything around, cover and cook 5 more minutes, reduce heat to low if quinoa already looks quite dry(liquid well absorbed) otherwise keep heat at medium low.
- remove from heat, open & stir, cover with dish towel, put lid back on and pull edges of dish towel so it is taught, let sit 10 minutes (this trick produces fluffier quinoa).
- let cool at least an hour, overnight, or spread out on a large baking sheet and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- mix all salad ingredients together, set aside in Tupperware, ready to be mixed with cool quinoa
- mix all ingredients, whisking with a fork until well combined, set aside.
- once the quinoa is cooled place it in a large bowl/tupperware add salad and dressing and mix everything well.
this tastes so good, and actually gets even tastier throughout the week as the flavors combine. You can add a bit of crumbled feta to this salad.