This is actually riced sweet potato... masquerading as rice!
Yep no real rice involved here folks ;)
An awesome Paleo friendly way to enjoy sweet potatoes, this recipe is one of those dangerously addictive ones, and can be a base recipe to many delicious creations; add sauteed veggies and a touch of sesame oil for an asian flavor, or chop up tomatoes scallions, fresh parsley and serve as a gluten free couscous alternative.
difficulty level: beginner
equipment needed: food processor
prep time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 27 to 32 minutes, depending on the kind of sweet potatoes used. i will explain this in the recipe itself. almost all of the cooking is hands free oven time.
what you need:
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- cooking oil spray
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes; i recommend either 1 orange flesh sweet potato and 1 hanna, or 1 hannah and one Japanese, i will give specific details below.
note: orange flesh sweet potatoes hold a lot more moisture then hanna sweet potatoes (light tan skin yellow flesh) and Japanese sweet potatoes (purplish skin pale yellow flesh) therefore the cooking times will vary based on your choice of sweet potato.
What to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- line a large oven sized baking sheet with foil, and lightly spray with oil
- whichever kind of sweet potato you are using, cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices, then cut the slices in half.
- put roughly half a sweet potato, in slices, into food processor, process about 10 seconds, see if any big chunks remain, pulse a few more times, If some large pieces still remain, pick then out. transfer riced sweet potato to large Tupperware. repeat with the rest of the sweet potatoes 1/2 a potato at a time.
- pour 1 tbsp avocado oil over riced sweet potato and mix well
- transfer riced potatoes to baking sheet and spread evenly on sheet into a thin layer.
- place into oven for:
1) if using one orange sweet potato & one hanna sweet potato bake for 25 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp onion powder, mix well, spread back out evenly and bake 5-7 minutes, watch the potatoes at the 5 minute mark, take out if getting too dark. remove from oven and adjust salt and pepper according to preference
2) if using one Japanese sweet potato & one hanna sweet potato bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp onion powder, mix well, spread back out evenly and bake 5 minutes. remove from oven and adjust salt and pepper according to preference
if you like the "rice" crispy, you can bake a bit longer, just watch that it does not turn form crispy to burnt