Spaghetti squash is a great low calorie and low carb ingredient to add to your repertoire.
only 50 calories and 10 g of carbs per 1 whole cup!
This recipe is a basic spaghetti squash prep recipe, from which you can create wonderful low carb pasta dishes, salads, soups or get extra creative, like i did in my Spaghetti squash hash recipe :)
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 60 minutes (all hands free oven time)
equipment needed: none
what you need:
- 3 1.5 lbs small spaghetti squashes, or tow large ones, or even a bit more. you want to make a large amount, use some, and freeze the rest for easy healthy low calorie meals for a month! my 3 1.5 lbs produced over 9 cups of roasted squash.
- vegetable oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- cut squash in half lengthwise
- scoop out seeds with spoon and discard
- place squash halves on large parchment lined baking sheet, cut side up
- lightly spray with oil and put into oven for 50 minutes
- take squash out, using tongs flip squashed cut side down, return to oven 10 minutes extra.
- remove squash from oven and let cool at least 20 minutes
- use a spoon to scoop squash flesh out, place in Tupperware, freeze whatever quantity you do not intend to use that week.
Note: Do the following to serve as a low carb pasta dish:
- preheat large non stick pan, lightly greased/sprayed
- sautee 2-3 cups of roasted squash 5 minutes, flipping around.
- sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp onion powder mixing well
- remove from heat and serve with favorite pasta sauce :)