This Superfoods quinoa & black beans recipe is simple, satisfying and so so good for you!!
Black beans are a soluble fiber superstar, research has found that just adding more soluble fiber into our diet, results in steady weight loss, without the need for further caloric restrictions. Pretty cool!... and tasty!!!
Quinoa and black beans are PRE-biotic ...they help increase the "good intestinal flora" which in turn will help you lose wight :)
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
equipment needed: none
what you need:
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups broth + 2-4 tbsp broth
- 1 small onions cut in half lengthwise then sliced into thin half rings
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated on a micropane/fine cheese grater or finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp divided in 2
- 1 can 13oz or 15oz black beans drained
- 1 can 13oz or 15oz tomatoes petite dice, drained BUT: reserve the tomato juice drained and add 5 tbsp water to it, set aside
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or braggs aminos or 1/4 tsp salt, whatever you have or prefer.
- 1 lime cut into wedges
what to do:
- put quinoa and 4 cups broth in large sauce pan over medium high, cover and cook 5 minutes, then open, stir quinoa, close lid and cook 20 more minutes on medium low.
- preheat a large non stick pan on medium high heat, add 1/4 tbsp oil and onions, mix well and saute for 5 minutes, deglaze pan with 1 tbsp broth at a time as needed to prevent onions from burning.
- keep onions in pan, moving them to the edges of the pan, add remaining 1/4 tsp oil, and add garlic to oil, saute 45 seconds
- add beans cumin and salt, mix well, saute 1 minute
- add reserved tomato juice with added 5 tbsp water, let simmer for 5 minutes.
- add tomatoes and soy sauce, reduce heat to medium low
- quinoa should be ready or almost ready,
- add quinoa to bean mixture and mix well, taste and add salt and pepper according to preference
- add fresh cilantro and mix
- serve with lime wedges or just juice the lime and throw it on the whole dish (yep that's what i did)
This recipe is so easy, and for the total 35 minutes of work you have enough super healthy carbs to last the whole week for 2 people for lunches and snacks!!! :)