This whole grain zucchini quick bread is so simple to make. Moist and delicious you will never know you are eating something healthy ;) toast it up for breakfast or use it for sandwiches; get a whole serving of vegetables and whole grains in one easy meal.
I made this a vegan quick bread, you can absolutely make this with eggs. This bread is very very lightly sweet and can be served savory or sweet depending on what you choose to spread on it or use it with.
Difficulty level: beginner
- loaf pan
- cheese grater (for zucchini)
What you need:
- 1.5 cups gluten free all purpose flour. I like Bob's Red Mills.
- 1 cup teff flour (you can skip this and use any other gluten free grain, oat flour, Buckwheat, millet etc)
- *1/2 tbsp dry nutritional (inactive) yeast, *optional for a slightly cheesy flavor
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp stevia
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 2 "vegan eggs": 2 tbsp flax seed meal with 5 tbsp hot water, mix and let stand at least 5 min. *yes you can just use 2 regular eggs if not vegan.
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil or avocado oil
what to do:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- grease a standard loaf pan
- combine flax seed meal with water and set aside for 5 minutes
- combine all other wet ingredients with chia seeds; coconut milk, oils, apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. the acidity in the vinegar will turn the coconut milk into " yogurt".
- combine wet ingredients and flax meal and mix well
- add grated zucchini to wet mixture, mix well and set aside.
- combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well with a whisk, letting the flours baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast and stevia distribute evenly.
- slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir with large spatula, keep stirring until a sticky mixture forms with no dry flour visible.
- let the mixture sit 5 minutes to combine then stir one more time.
- if the dough looks too dry, add one tablespoon of water at a time and mix.
- pour dough into loaf pan, sprinkle dough with some extra chia seeds (optional), brush lightly with a bit of oil.
- put into oven and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees
- reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35 minutes more.
- remove loaf pan from oven, let sit for 5 minutes
- then remove from pan and let cool on cooling rack at least 10 minutes.
this bread is so good for you and so yumm!!! :) you can serve it with my coconut blueberry compote, or use it for sandwiches. Even non veggie lovers will love this toasted up :)