Incredibly cheesy vegan & gluten free... Sweet potato BISCUITS!!!
i wont lie to you, i was nervous! Biscuits are temperamental as is, and oh yeah i was going to make my 1st ever batch of Gluten free AND vegan biscuits! this is one of those times where the kitchen Gods smiled upon me lol. It came out freaking delicious flaky lightly chewy omg!
difficulty level: easy! yes seriously easy! :)
- food processor
- biscuit cutter or ice cream scoop if you prefer drop biscuits
yield: 10 biscuits
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 15-17 minutes
what you need:
for dry ingredients:
- 2 cups Bob's red mill gluten free biscuit mix (link below)
- 3/4 tsp Bob's red mill xanthum gum (link below)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Nutritional dry yeast (gives a wonderful cheesy flavor)
for wet ingredients:
- 6 tbsp vegan butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes, place in freezer for 10 minutes as you prep everything else
- 8.5 tbsp unsweetened nut milk. i used almond milk
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 vegan egg = 1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 2 tbsp boiling water, mixed well, let sit 5 minutes minimum before using
what to do:
- place all dry ingredients in food processor, pulse 5-6 times to mix everything well
- in a separate bowl combine sweet potato, nut milk and vegan egg, mix very well with a fork until well incorporated
- take butter pieces out of freezer, place in food processor on top of dry ingredients. pulse 10 times until a crumbly texture is achieved. do NOT be tempted to mix more, you want at least pea sized butter pieces.
- transfer dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, create a well in the center, pour sweet potato mixture in center of dry ingredients, mix well with a fork or two forks. the dough should not be over mixed, it should look a little crumbly. If too dry carefully add 1/2 tbsp at a time, this should be a pretty dry crumbly dough, but not a floury dusty dough. really mix the bottom part well, flour tends to settle there.
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- cover your dough with plastic wrap in the bowl and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- dust a non stick silpat mat, or your counter with a touch of gluten free flour
- divide the dough into 2
- place half the dough on the silpat/counter use your hands to flatten it and shape it into a 3/4 inch thick oval or round
- dust a biscuit cutter with a touch of gf flour, cut into the dough disc, use your fingers to gently transfer the biscuit onto a baking sheet, repeat cutting out as many biscuits as possible.
- gently gather the scraps into a ball, flatten to 3/4 inch thick oval and cut more biscuits, repeat as necessary.
- repeat process with other half of dough
- gently place the biscuits in two rows, just touching each either, this actually helps them rise a bit more. you won't get great rise out of gluten free dough, but this little trick helps.
- bake biscuits in middle to lower rack 15-17 minutes depending ion n your oven
- you can brush a touch of melted vegan butter on top once you take them out to cool, i suggest gently transferring to a cooling rack.
this yummy healthy biscuits are so good right out of the oven, they will keep in the fridge for a week and are just as good heated up.
these will hold up perfectly for sandwiches too :)