my absolute favorite, I am hooked on this recipe, eating it for breakfast lunch & dinner! Savory steel cut oats with organic green & black lentils cooked slowly in broth, 2 minutes prep and almost completely hands free cook time.
serve it hot or cold, in soups, salads or just by itself yummm!
you can use steel cut oats or whole oat groats for a slightly more al dente texture.
difficulty level: very easy
yields: 14 cups
equipment needed: large saucepan or dutch oven
prep time: 2 minutes
cook time: 80 minutes hands free simmer time
what you need:
- 3 cups steel cut oats or whole oat groats
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup black "caviar" lentils
- 9 cups no-chicken broth by imagine brand (roughly 2 1/2 containers)
what to do:
- place all ingredients in large saucepan or dutch oven, close lid and bring ti a boil on high for 10 minutes
- stir, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 70 minutes, opening and stirring roughly every 20 minutes
- turn heat off, mix well, close and let sit covered 10 more minutes
easy delicious and incredibly healthy