Sweet, tart, chocolaty & richly textured, this cranberry & dark Chocolate chip polenta bread is so easy to make, I love having this for breakfast or as dessert with just a touch of coconut butter on top.
difficulty level: easy
yields: one standard size loaf
equipment needed: standard size loaf pan
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30-35 minutes
what you need:
for dry ingredients:
- 1 cup dry organic polenta grits
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp powdered stevia
- 1 tsp baking soda
- optional 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
for wet ingredients:
- 1 cup evaporated coconut milk, or regular full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp melted coconut butter or vegan butter
- 1 cup frozen cranberries thawed (measure when frozen)
- 1/2 tsp stevia powder
- 1/4 dark chocolate chips, I used Lily brand sugar free vegan chocolate chips, you can find it at whole foods.
- a few extra thawed cranberries & a few chocolate chips with a tbsp of pumpkin seeds or chopped walnuts.
what to do:
- grease standard sized loaf pan
- mix all dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk to properly combine
- mix all wet ingredients except cranberries & chocolate chips
- add wet ingredients to dry, mix well
- fold in chocolate chips, mix well
- fold in cranberries and gently mix well
- pour into loaf pan, let sit 1 hour or over night, the polenta grits need to soak properly, this gives a beautiful texture to the loaf.
- when ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees
- add the garnish cranberries to the top of the loaf, gently pressing them in a bit,; do not add pumpkin seeds and chocolate chip garnishes yet.
- place into oven on middle rack, bake 10 minutes
- reduce heat to 350 and bake 20 - 25 minutes more, or until a tooth pick inserted into loaf comes out dry.
- turn oven off, take loaf out, garnish with chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds, place in oven off oven for 2-3 minutes, until chocolate chips look "glistening" which means they are starting to melt
- remove loaf from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving
I am not a huge dessert person, i just LOVED this loaf! :)
It looks so pretty and tastes incredible!