Amazingly healthy breakfast on the go! Cranberry apple gluten free vegan breakfast loaf, high in plant based protein, moist & delicious it's like having dessert for breakfast!
168 calories per slice with 7.5 g complete plant protein & only 23 g net carbs
difficulty level: easy
yield: 11 slices
equipment needed: 1 standard bread loaf pan
prep: 10 minutes
cook time: 50 minutes hands free oven time
what you need:
for dry ingredients:
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour, I used Bob's red mill
- 1/2 cup teff flour (you can skip this and use any other gluten free grain, oat flour, Buckwheat, millet etc) link below
- 3 scoops Vega protein smoothie powder in Oh-Natural. link below
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)
here are the flours & protein powder i used:
for wet ingredients:
- 1 Braeburn apple cored and cut into 1/2" pieces. 1 1/4 cup
- 1 Braeburn apple cored and coarsely grated. 1 cup packed
- 2 "vegan eggs": 2 tbsp flax seed meal with 5 tbsp hot water, mix and let stand at least 5 min.
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt. or 1/2 cup coconut cream with 1 tsp vinegar.
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil or avocado or vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 cup whole frozen cranberries + 1 tsp stevia powder
- walnut & pumpkin seeds, i "ground" them up in a ziplock bag, with a rolling pin
what to do:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- grease a standard loaf pan
- combine flax seed meal with water and set aside for 5 minutes
- combine all other wet ingredients
- combine wet ingredients and flax eggs and mix well
- combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well with a whisk, letting the flours baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast and stevia distribute evenly.
- slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir with large spatula, keep stirring until a sticky mixture forms with no dry flour visible.
- pour the batter into the greased loaf pan, cover lightly with wax paper or cling wrap
- let the mixture sit 3-6 hours. this creates a fermentation which will make the bread fluffier & also makes the grains more easily digestible. yes you can cook it right away, but i recommend to keep this step to get better nutrition :)
- remove cling wrap/wax paper, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and walnut pieces
- put into oven and bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees
- reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35 minutes
- remove loaf pan from oven, let sit for 5 minutes
- then remove from pan and let cool on cooling rack at least 10 minutes before serving
I let the bread cool completely before storing in the fridge in a Tupperware or large ziplock.
I love eating this for breakfast and taking it to work for a quick & healthy snack :)