Creamy roasted squash quinoa vegan risotto, hearty comfort food that's rich in flavor yet light in calories at only 130 calories per serving. I used delicata squash, so easy to prep, even the peel is edible once roasted.
difficulty level: easy
yield: 12 cups, 24 servings
equipment needed: large braiser or large 12" non stick pan with a lid
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 50 minutes
what you need:
- 3 medium/small delicata squash halved and seeded
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic coves minced
- 3 - 5 fresh sage leaves or 1/2 tsp dry sage
- 8 oz crimni mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup dry whie wine such as pinot grigio
- 10 cups Imagine brand no-chicken broth
- cooking oil spray
for cheese sauce:
- 3 tbsp quick soaked raw cashews. pour 1 cup boiling water over 3 tbsp of raw cashews, let soak 55 minutes, then drain well before using.
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan vegan Parmesan recipe
- 1 tbsp miso paste, you can find this on Amazon or at a health food store
- 1 tbsp dry inactive nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup broth + 2 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
what to do:
- preheat oven to 450, line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease
- place broth in a large sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to medium low heat and cover
- place squash on baking sheet cut side up, spray squash with cooking oil, season with salt and pepper and place in oven for 35 minutes
- preheat large braiser or non stick pan on medium high, add 1 tsp oil & onions, saute 8 minutes, deglaze pan with 1 -2 tbsp broth if needed.
- push onions to side, spray middle of pan, add mushrooms spray and saute for 8 minutes
- reduce heat to medium, push onions & mushrooms to sides of pan, add 1 tsp oil sage leaves and garlic to middle of pan, saute 45 seconds
- deglaze pan with 1/2 cup white wine, mix everything well.
- add quinoa and steel cut oats, mix well
- add 3 ladels of broth, mix well, keep heat on medium.
- cook risotto for 30 minutes, adding a ladel & a half of broth every 1.5 - 2 minutes and stirring well.
- you do not have to stand over and stir the entire time, stir occasionally, meanwhile you can clean up etc.
- take the squahs out of the oven, chop it up into cubes.
- reserve some cubes for presentation if you want.
- reserve 1/2 cup packed roasted squash for cheese sauce
- add remaining pieces to the risotto and mix.
- place all cheese sauce ingredients and 1/2 cup roasted squash in blender, whirl away until very smooth
- after 30 minutes of cooking are done, add the cheese sauce to the risotto and cook 5 more minutes stirring
serve topped with extra vegan parm, or just by itself, this is such a healthy & nutritious recipe, i actually love having this for breakfast :)