Nothing says fall like pumpkin! Creamy roasted pumpkin soup, rich & comforting, made with oven Roasted pumpkin, shallots & garlic with sauteed onion and cauliflower, cooked in broth. This beautiful velvety soup is only 44 calories per serving, a perfect recipe for a healthy addition to your holiday table.
difficulty level: easy
Yiels: 13 -17 cups, depending on how much broth you decide to add. Use less broth for a thicker consistency soup.
- blender or immersion blender
- large non stick pan with a lid, or a large braiser/dutch oven.
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
what you need:
- 1 whole garlic bulb. carefully cut just the top of the bulb exposing just the tips of the cloves. cut a 6" square of foil. separate the cloves, but keep their skins on. the cloves roast more evenly when separated. place cloves on the foil square and drizzle with 1 tsp oil, mix well, then close the square of foil into a tight package, set side.
- 3 - 4 lb pumpkin, cut in half, seeded, the cut into 3/4 inch slices, with skin on.
- 3 shallots, cut in half in half
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, thinly cut.
- 14 cups no-chicken broth by Imagine brand. it's the prefect flavor for this soup
- 1/4 cup quick soaked cashews. pour boiling water over raw cashwes, let sit uncovered 45 minutes, drain to use
- 2 - 2.5 tsp turmeric
- 3 whole sage leaves (optional)
- 7 tbsp dry nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 0.5 tbsp lemon
- black pepper or cayenne to preference.
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 450
- line a large baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking oil
- spread pumpkin pieces & shallots on baking sheet, drizzle with 1/2 tbsp oil, mix well with hands, spread out in single layer, spray with oil. place the foil garlic packet in middle of baking sheet between the pumpkin pieces, place baking sheet in oven on middle rack for 20 minutes
- meanwhile, preheat a large non stick pan on medium high
- add onions and saute 7 minutes. deglaze with tbsp of broth if onions begin to burn.
- add 10 cups of broth, cauliflower, cashews, turmeric, nutritional yeast, sage leaves, Dijon & lemon juice to the pan, bring to a boil, cover well, reduce heat to medium and cook 15 minutes
- take the pumpkin out of the oven, peel off the peels and discard.
- notice if shallots begin to char, remove that may have started to burn and add to soup pan.
- spray pumpkin and return to oven for 10 more minutes
- once pumpkin is done, remove from oven.
- REMOVE the 3 sage leaves from the soup(they will be way too overpowering if you blend them).
- open the garlic packet, carefully squeeze the cloves out of their skins, discarding the skins. add the roasted cloves to the pumpkin.
- place all of the roasted ingredients and all of the soup ingredients in the blender, everything should just fit, blend away until super smooth.
- open, taste and adjust with pepper cayenne or a touch of nutmeg to your preference
- pour the soup into very large Tupperware , add remaining 4 cups of broth and mix well. no need to return this to a pot and cook, there is so much flavor in this soup, just mixing it well with the broth will do.
This soup is so delicious i want to backstroke in it!!! (Dawn that comment is for you!) ;)