What better way to usher in fall, then beautifully roasted mushrooms with garlic, shallots, a touch of pinot grigio and sprinkled with fresh herbs.
Earthy satisfying flavor, perfect served just by itself or added to quinoa or soups.
difficulty level : easy
equipment needed: 9" or larger cast iron pan. alternately you can use a ceramic non stick pan that is oven proof (metal handle) and i think a large pyrex baking pan, like a lasagna dish should also work in a pinch.
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
what you need:
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms cut into 1/3 or into 1/2 if mushrooms are smaller. Note: do not wash mushrooms, as they will soak up the water and will not brown well, simply dust any "dirt" off with a peper towel r towel
- 1/2 lb oyster mushrooms. torn by hand
- 2 shallots thinly sliced. shallot looks like a small, elongated onion with a copper, reddish, or gray skin. When peeled, shallots separate into into cloves like garlic, they have a sweet and mild flavor, with a hint of garlic.
- 2 garlic cloves very thinly minced or finely grate don a cheese grater or picropane, mixed with 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves removed from stem, add thsi to the garlic and oil mixture
- 2 tbsp dry white wine, i used pinot grigio
- 1/4 tsp salt & pepper to taste
- fresh herbs of choice, finely chopped, i used basil and parsley
what to do:
- place clean cast iron pan into oven, preheat oven to 500 degrees
- meanwhile preheat a non stick pan on the stove on medium high, spray with oil, add shallots and saute until browned 5 -7 minutes.
- set shallots aside
- VERY carefully take pan out of oven, spray liberally with oil, spread crimini mushrooms in 1 layer, spray and place into oven at 500 for 5 minutes
- take pan out, very carefully flip each mushroom, use 2 utensils, spray and return to oven for 5 more minutes
- take out, remove browned mushrooms, set aside with shallots.
- spray pan, spread out oyster mushrooms in single layer, spray liberally, place in oven at 500 for 6 minutes
- take pan out, flip mushroom pieces, spray and return to oven 6 more minutes
- take pan out, add shallots and criminis, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and some pepper mix well, push mixture to sides of pan
- in middle of pan add minced garlic in oil with thyme, place pan in oven for 1 minutes
- take pan out, deglaze pan with 2 tbsp dry white wine, mix well and return to oven for 3 minutes
perfectly cooked, and might i add refined looking mushrooms ready to serve!!!!