Roasted mushrooms & tempeh with sauteed onion, garlic fresh basil and vegan Parm combine into these amazing vegan high protein meatballs, serve them as a main course, or as appetizers on little skewers with a cherry tomato and a basil leaf... delish!!!
difficulty level: beginner
equipment needed: food processor
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
what you need:
for meat balls:
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps, with stem intact.
- 1 large onion, quickly copped up in a food processor, or finely chopped with a knife
- 8oz Tempeh finely ground in food processor, you can find plain tempeh next to the tofu at your grocery store or on Amazn.
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced mixed with 1/2 tbsp oil, or grated finely on amicropane or cheese grater
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 vegan eggs = 2 tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp hot water, mix well and let sit 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 3 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped (or 1.5 tbsp dry basil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- cooking oil spray
- 2 tbsp soy sauce divided in 2
- 2 scoops unflavored vegan protein powder, i used "Genuine Health fermented vegan protein+ unsweetened & unflavored" you can find this at your local health food store, or on Amazon. you could substitute with 4 tbsp of garbanzo or any other bean flour, i however love using this protein powder as it bumps up the protein content for this recipe by 30 grams!! I use this protein powder in many savory plant based recipes, one container lasts me well over 8 months.
for coating meatballs:
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan
- 1/4 cup flour of choice, to make this gluten free i used rice flour, but garbanzo flour should work well too.
what to do:
- preheat oven to 450 degrees
- brush mushroom caps with 1 tbsp soy sauce, place on lightly greased baking sheet caps down, bake in oven for 20 minutes
- add 1 tbsp of soy sauce to tempeh crumble in a small tupperware, set aside.
- meanwhile preheat 12" non stick pan on medium high, spray with cooking oil, add onions, saute 6 minutes.
- move onion to outer edges of pan, spray pan, add tempeh crumble, spray crumble, saute 8 minutes, mixing with onion.
- reduce pan heat to medium, move tempeh onion mixture to sides of pan, place garlic and oil mixture in center of pan, saute for 1 minute
- turn heat off, add 2 tbsp tomato paste, and mix onion tempeh and garlic well
- take mushrooms out of oven when done, roughly chop, place into food processro and pulse until finely chopped. reduce oven heat to 400
- add onion tempeh garlic mixture along with all remaining meatball ingredients to food processor, pulse until a dough forms, you will need to stop and scrape down sides at least once.
- using a small (2 tbsp to 2.5 tbsp) ice cream scoop, scoop out little meatball mounds onto a plate or parchment paper.
- grease hands, and roll each little mound into a meatball shape.
- in a large plate, mix meatball coating ingredients
- line a large baking sheet with foil and grease well
- roll each little meatball in coating ingredients and place onto baking sheet
- once they are all done, spray them liberally with cooking oil
- place into oven and bake 20-25 minutes in middle of oven.
- if you like, you can turn broiler on the last 3 minutes to crisp up the tops, just keep an eye on the meatballs to avoid burning
- remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes to firm up
I served these on a bed of Spiralized Kohlrabi & summer squash spaghetti topped with a mushroom arabiata tomato suace and some vegan parm, you can absolutely serve these with some quinoa, or even on top of a slad or rosted veggies or just snack on them by themselves... yeppp it happened! ;)