This lemongrass ginger chilled soup is creamy tangy flavorful & full of vegetables, at only 59 calories & 6 grams net carbs for one whole cup this is a great way to fill up on some veggies before dinner, or as a low calorie snack between meals on the weekend. I love adding some quinoa and protein and making it into a complete meal.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 32 minutes
equipment needed: blender or immersion blender. alternately you can skip the blending part and have a hearty vegetable soup
what you need:
- 7 cups broth. I used No-chicken broth by Imagine brand
- 1/2 head of a large cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large summer squash cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large white onion cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely grated on a micropane or cheese grater
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds crushed. you can find toasted sesame seeds in the asian foods aisle of your grocery store. i simply crush them with the back of a small mason jar, inside a tupperware.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1 long stick of fresh lemon grass cut into 4" pieces or 4 dried lemon grass sticks (they already come in roughly 4" pieces). I keep dried lemon grass in my spice pantry, or when i find fresh lemon grass i cut it into 4" long pieces and freeze it in a ziplock.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, divided in 2
- 4 tbsp miso paste, prefrably shiro miso (a light tan color) mixed with 4 tbsp water until paste looks homogeneous with no clumps
what to do:
- preheat a large saucepan on medium high, add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil & onion, saute 6 minutes
- combine ginger, garlic sesame seeds with remaining 1/2 tbsp oil
- move onion to sides of sauce pan, reduce heat to medium, add ginger garlic sesame and oil mixture to the middle of the saucepan and saute until fragrant for 1 minute
- add cauliflower, squash, coconut milk & broth, mix well
- bring to a boil on high (roughly 5 minutes)
- reduce and simmer covered for 20 minutes
- remove all lemon grass stalks (they are not edible)
- puree the soup in a blender with the miso & water mixture
the soup is now ready, you can absolutely eat this hot too, but i love this as a chilled soup, garnish with cilantro, scallions, jalapenos or Thai chilies if you like it realllllyyy spicy :)
you can absolutely add a touch of fish sauce.
This yields 10 cups of delicious nutritious goodness, you can absolutely freeze this soup too.