I bought some beautiful organic Kohlrabi... there it was, on my counter... and i had NO idea what the heck i was going to use it in! when in doubt, spiralize and figure it out later ;)
As it turns out, that was a great idea, as kohlrabi produced amazing al dente veggie spaghetti pasta! I decided to mix it up with spiralized summer squash, cause why not???
The beauty of kohlrabi is that the spiralized noodles cook up perfectly al dente, yet are super low carb! One cup is only 37 calories with only 5 grams of net carbs.
once you mix the summer squash noodles with the kohlrabi noodles, the calorie and carb count goes even lower!
This was one of those experiment that is going to become a staple in my kitchen :)
if you are wondering what the heck is kohlrabi, it's a little turnip-shaped vegetables, can be eaten raw or cooked, and taste a bit like broccoli stems, but milder and slightly sweeter. You can find purple or green kohlrabi, and seeing as you must always peel the tough outer skin, both the green and purple variety are exactly the same pale green once peeled.
difficulty level: super easy
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 17 minutes
- counter top spiralizer
- 12" non stick pan
what you need:
- 4 - 5 kohlrabi peeled and spiralized
- 1 large summer squash spiralized
- cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper to taste
what to do:
- preheat 12" non stick pan on medium high, lightly spray pan, add half of the spiralized squash noodles, cook stirring 2 minutes, remove to a tupperware.
- repeat with second half the squash noodles.
- spray pan again, add half the kohlrabi noodles, saute 7 minutes, remove to same tupperware
- repeat with second half of kohlrabi noodles
- sprinkle with a touch of salt & pepper and mix all noodles together
you can keep them refrigerated, or toss in your favorite pasta sauce, pesto and serve cold or hot.
I used a mushroom arabiata sauce, sprinkled some vegan parm and fresh herbs, it was DELISH!!!!