Folks! I can not believe how amazing this turned out! a completely egg-less breakfast scramble that got "approved & endorsed" (I'm quoting here!) by my entirely non vegan pickiest of taste testers!
Sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, spinach, cherry tomatoes and sprinkled with some vegan Parmesan, so easy, nutritious and absolutely yummy!!
Soy free, this scramble is made entirely from Chickpea/Garbanzo flour... and of course i decided to up the protein by adding a scoop of Vegan protein powder, each serving has 9 grams of complete plant protein.
difficulty level: easy
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
- 12" non stick pan
what you need:
for chickpea scramble:
- 1/2 cup garbanzo/chickpea flour. I use Bob's red mill brand, tyou can find in most stores or on Amazon.
- 1 scoop "Genuine health Fermented Vegan Protein+ unsweetened & unflavored". You can find this at health food stores or on Amazon. This is not mandatory, if you do not have this just add an extra tbsp chickpea flour.
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Dry Nutritional yeast. This is an inactive dry yeast that adds a very nice flavor to the scramble, you can find this at health food stores or on Amazon, I like Braggs brand.
- 2 tbsp neutral flavor oil of choice, i used avocado oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom, or 8 crimini mushrooms chopped into 1/2 inch slices/pieces
- 2 garlic cloves grated on a micropane or on a fine cheese grater, mixed with 1/2 tbsp of oil in a little ramekin
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes, or 1/2 cup a regular tomato cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat a 12" non stick pan, spray with cooking oil, saute onions for 5 minutes, move onions to the sides of the pan, clearing the center, place the mushroom pieces in the center spray with cooking oil, saute 5 minutes
- remove onions and mushrooms into a tupperware, place the pan back on the heat, reduce heat to medium
- add minced garlic mixed with 1/2 tbsp of oil, saute 30-45 seconds, until fragrant but not burnt, add 2 tbsp broth and chopped spinach, saute mixing for one minute until spinach is wilted, remove from pan into tupperware with onions and mushrooms.
- place pan back on the heat, spray pan liberally with oil, add Chickpea scramble batter, let cook at least 2 minutes, until edges start to brown, spray with oil, then gently break it up into "scramble sized" pieces, continue cooking for 5 minutes until pieces are slightly browned.
- add all cooked ingredients back into the pan, remove from heat and stir well to combine.
- add tomatoes and mix well
- optional: sprinkle with 1 tbsp of vegan Parmesan
this recipe makes enough scramble for 4 people, we had it the next day, just heated it back up in the pan, absolutely delicious! And i still can't believe my non-vegan picky taste tester loved it and asked for more :)