Love this bread! It is so easy to make, comes out full of flavor, perfectly chewy and so good for you, made from gluten free whole grains, grated summer squash and kalamata olives. I love having this for breakfast, a great way to start your day with some seriously healthy nutrition with every delicious bite.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes hands free oven time
- fine cheese grater to grate squash
- standard sized loaf pan
what you need:
for wet ingredients:
- 2 vegan eggs = 2 tbsp ground flax meal + 4 tbsp boiling water, mix and let stand 5 minutes
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened unflavored, i used almond milk
- 1 heaping cup finely grated summer squash tightly packed (you can use zucchini too)
- 1 1/2 tsp Apple cider vinegar or any mild vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup packed, sliced pitted kalamata olives, yes you can use any olives, i simply like the color contrast of kalamata in the bread
for Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour, i used Bob's red mill all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- optional: 1/2 tsp xanthum gum powder. I like Bob's red mills brand, not necessary, just adds extra chewiness to the bread
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Note: you can substitute the potato and teff flours with more Bob's red mills All purpose gluten free flour, or any other gluten free flours you have on hand.
what to do:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk, to make sure all ingredients are well incorporated
- mix all wet ingredients
- fold wet ingredients into dry, keep mixing/folding with your hands until all the flour is absorbed. i like to let the dough sit at least 5 minutes at this point.
- grease a standard loaf pan
- pour batter into loaf pan
- optional: slice a few extra olives, place olive slices on top of loaf, and sprinkle loaf with a some rolled oats, this is simply for presentation.
- place loaf pan in middle of oven, bake at 400 for 10 minutes
- reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 35-40 minutes, you can insert a toothpick into the center of your loaf, If there is wet batter still on the toothpick, it needs more time in the oven. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- remove from oven, let cool in loaf pan 5 minutes, gently remove from loaf pan and let cool on cooling rack an additional 10 minutes
This bread toasts up beautifully, can absolutely be used as sandwich bread.
one loaf last me for at least 5 breakfasts.