Naturally gluten free, these pancakes are so yummy, it feels like you are eating dessert for breakfast! Perfectly ripe Bosc pears & cinnamon give these vegan pancakes a simply addictive flavor. This recipe is a nutritional power house, each little pancake is 76 calories, 3 grams of complete plant protein, 5 grams net carbs and 4 grams of fat.
Eat 4 pancakes for a complete breakfast providing 12 grams of complete plant protein and 20 grams of low glycemic good for you carbs along with a serving of fruit.
I am not a fan of pouring sugary stuff all over my pancakes, so i came up with a super simple recipe for banana "syrup" with no added sugar, just the natural sweetness of banana. The Cinnamon pear flavor of the pancakes with the banana syrup... OMG! Sooo good!!
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 6 minutes total per batch, I do not have a large griddle, just a 12" non stick pan, so 3 mini pancakes at a time took me roughly 30 minutes for the entire batch.
I love making these even a few days ahead and heating them up in the oven for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- high powered blender
- hand mixer or stand mixer
what you need:
- 2 cups steel cut oats. You can also use rolled oats, use 2 1/4 cups if using rolled oats.
- 2 ripe Bosc pears cored and cut into big chunks
- 3.5 cups unsweetened almond milk or nut milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large vegan eggs = 2 tbsp ground flax meal + 6 tbsp boiling water, mix well and let stand 5 minutes
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil, or any other oil of choice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5+ tsp ground cinnamon, I LOVE cinnamon, so i use at least 5 tsp, you can adjust this according to preference.
- 2 tsp baking powder
- *optional: 1 packet (2 scoops) Vega Sport Performance Protein powder in vanilla. You can find this at whole foods or on Amazon. I love this vegan protein powder, 2 scoops provide 30 grams of complete protein with only 2 grams net carbs. If you do not use this, just add 1/2 tsp stevia powder to the batter mix instead.
- cooking oil spray for cooking the pancakes
for banana "Syrup":
- 1/2 ripe banana cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- a small touch of vanilla extract (no more then 1/8 tsp)
what to do:
- place all pancake ingredients in blender except baking powder
- whirl away on high for 2 minute, at the 1 minute mark, open the top of the blender cap and sprinkle in the baking powder
- stop, scrape down sides if necessary, blend 1 more minute. If the batter stops spinning, this can harm you blender, stop and add 1/4 cup more water, and blend again.
- do not force your blender
- preheat large griddle or 12" non stick pan on medium high for at least 5 minutes, reduce heat slightly (slightly above medium).
- spray pan/griddle liberally with cooking oil
- dollop out little pancakes, one 1/4 cup at a time. do not crowd pan, in a 12" pan only 3 at a time please.
- cook for 3 minutes, flip and cook 3 minutes more
for Banana Syrup:
- place all ingredients in your blender, blend until very smooth consistency is achieved
- place in a small saucepan, cook on medium 7 10 10 minutes on medium heat, keeping it at a gentle simmer. this will reduce/concentrate the banana flavor and also slightly caramelize it for an amazing flavor.
I served the pancakes topped with fresh banana slices, raspberries would also go great with this, sprinkled with some raw walnut pieces and of course... made a very strong espresso! :)