How to get perfectly grilled sweet potatoes that won't fall apart on the grill, but will cook all the way through, read on and find out!
Par boiling the sweet potatoes is the key! yes it's an extra step, but a worthwhile one, which prevents the two dreaded options: "al dente" sweet potatoes or a mushy mess, no thank you!
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 5 minutes
- 60 minutes hands free time for the par boiling, can be done several days ahead
- 11 minutes total to grill the sweet potatoes
- a large stock pot for par boiling
- outdoor grill, or stove top cast iron grill with a large cast iron lid. I did test this out, i was able to completely cover my stove top grill with the lid of a large cast iron braiser. the ability to cover the grill is essential to properly cooking the sweet potatoes through. It will take you a bit longer on a stove top grill, as stove top grills can not accommodate all the potatoes in one batch, it will probably take 3 batches. Outdoor grills will be able to accommodate the entire batch in one shot.
what you need:
- 6 medium/small sweet potatoes washed, i used both garnet (orange flesh) and hannah (pale yellow flesh) sweet potato varieties, any sweet potatoes will do, i like different colors cause it's prettier :)
- onion powder(not granules, powder) & smoked paprika
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- place a large stock pot on high heat with 3 quarts of water and 5 tsp salt, bring to a roiling boil
- cut sweet potatoes into roughly 1 inch wedges, cut lengthwise.
- once water is boiling, place the sweet potato wedges in the water, keep heat on high for 5 minutes covered. remove from heat and let sweet potatoes sit in the hot water, covered, for 55 minutes.
- remove sweet potatoes(you can use tongs), drain well
- preheat your grill on high for at least 10 minutes
- spray grill liberally with cooking oil
- spray sweet potato wedges liberally with cooking oil
- place wedges on the grill, do not crowd, immediately close grill and let cook for 4 minutes, do not shift the potatoes around, keep the grill closed, this will give you beautiful grill marks and also perfectly cook the sweet potatoes all the way through.
- open lid, spray potatoes with oil again, flip to the next side, cover again and coked undisturbed for 3.5 minutes
- one more time open, flip sweet potatoes peel side down, close and cook 3 more minutes
- remove sweet potatoes from grill, sprinkle with salt onion powder and smoked paprika, you can squeeze some fresh lime on top too, i served this with a side of vegan avocado crema
Avocado Crema recipe: in a food processor place flesh of one whole Avocado, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, 8 tbsp water, 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unflavored/unsweetened almond milk (or cashew milk). whirl away until smooth. this is completely optional, but also completely yummy
This recipe makes a LOT of potatoes, enough for a whole week of lunches and dinner, or for one big get together, easy, simple, delicious, healthy and kinda fancy looking ;) can't go wrong!!!