Okra is one of the lowest calorie veggies out there, only 33 calories per cup!
most of us either have no idea how to prepare this veggie, or have attempted to handle it and got turned off by the "sliminess" of this vegetable, this recipe is a foolproof way of cooking okra to a slightly crisp roasted caramelized perfection, without deep frying it or coating it with corn meal.
Okra is full of antioxidants, fiber & is a rich source of vitamin C
difficulty level: super easy
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes hands free oven time
equipment needed: none
what you need:
- 1 defrosted 16 oz bag of "frozen okra" drained. I simply take the okra out of the freezer and leave it on the counter to thaw the night before, or right before i go to work in the morning.
- 1 tbsp oil (i used Avocado oil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- cooking oil spray
what to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- line an oven sized baking sheet with foil, spray foil thoroughly
- place okra on baking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings
- mix okra well with oil and spices with your hands
- use a spatula to evenly distribute okra on baking sheet spreading it out in one layer.
- place in oven on middle rack and bake 25 minutes
- take okra out, flip around, mix, the spread back out and return to oven for 5 more minutes
- remove from oven and add additional salt and onion powder and pepper to taste
- okra is done and ready to serve, you can pile it up in the center, sprinkle with vegan parmesan and broil on middle rack for 5 extra minutes for an extra boost of flavor and crispiness!