Lemony breakfast bars... or dessert? these are so good and good for you it really depends on how you want to relate to them ;)
Oats and pumpkin seeds crust, zero sugar added with 109 calories per bar, only 7 grams of net carbs and 4 grams of protein, dairy free and egg free.
2 bars, a nice espresso and voila a decadent tasting breakfast! ...or just 1 bar for dessert! :)
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
- food processor
- 8 inch square pan, preferably pyrex but non stick will do.
what you need:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup oats
- 2 dates chopped
- 2 tbsp walnut pieces
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp full fat canned coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 1 vegan egg = 1 tbsp flax + 2.5 tbsp boiling water mixed and set aside
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp almond meal sometimes called almond flour.
- 1/2 cup quick soaked cashews. pour boiling water over cashews and let sit uncovered 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted canellini white beans (don't worry you will not taste this!)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 whole lemon (roughly 1 tbsp)
- 2 1/2 tsp stevia powder
- 1/2 cup coconut cream. place a regular full fat coconut milk can in freezer for 15 minutes, do not shake can. the solid white stuff at the top is coconut cream
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder. yes you can use cornstarch, but i prefer using arrowroot starch. you can find this on Amazon and in health food stores. i like Bob's red mill brand what to do:
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- grease a square 8 x 8 pyrex baking pan
- place all crust ingredients in food processor, pulse until well incorporated, scrape down sides and pulse again, i dough ball will form in food processor, if dough looks too dry, add and extra tablespoon coconut cream.
- place crust dough into the 8" square pan, wrap your hand loosley with plastic wrap and proceed to press the crust out evenly and tightly packed into the pan.
- place into oven on middle rack and bake 20 minutes
- take crust out, let cool a minimum 10 minutes
- raise oven temperature to 350 degrees
- place all filling ingredients in blender, belnd for 30 sec scrape sides and blend at least 1 more minute until a very smooth consistency is achieved. Taste and adjust flavor according to preference.
- pour filling onto cooled crust, place towel on counter and tap the baking dish on the towel to remove air bubbles
- place in oven on middle rack, bake 25 minutes
breakfast dessert or dessert for breakfast, your choice! :)