This is a delicious and creamy low calorie makeover to a french classic, cream of asparagus soup! Dairy free, yet rich and creamy with only 45 calories per serving.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
equipment needed: high powered blender
what you need:
- 2 bunches asparagus, bottom tough part trimmed and discarded, reserve asparagus tips separately for garnish. cut stalks into 1 inch pieces. slice asparagus tips in half lengthwise and set aside.
- 2 cups onions rough chop (just cut into squares)
- 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil ( any high heat cooking oil will do)
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cashews
- 8 cups broth. I highly recommend No-chicken broth by Imagine brand for this recipe, you can find it on Amazon or in health food stores.
what to do:
- preheat a large sauce pan over medium high
- add 1/2 tbsp avocado oil and onion, saute 5-7 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
- add cauliflower and 1/2 tsp salt, saute 5 minutes
- add asparagus stalks, saute 3 minutes
- add cashews and broth, bring to a boil and let simmer 15 minutes covered
- preheat a non stick pan on medium high
- add asparagus tips with 1 tbsp broth (from the soup) saute until just green, 1-2 minutes, remove from heat
- uncover soup and simmer 5 more minutes more uncovered.
- blend soup in blender in batches, taste and adjust with salt and pepper. garnish with asparagus tips and serve, i also sprinkled soup with some chia seeds cause why not?! :)