Eggplant rice... without rice! Low carb, grain free, high fiber and so delicious!
Only 4 ingredients to a delicious low carb rice alternative that does not involve cauliflower.
difficulty level: beginner
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 25 - 30 minutes depending on preference
equipment needed: food processor
what you need:
- one eggplant (medium size) peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- cooking oil spray
- 1/4 tsp salt & pepper to taste
what to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees (not convection)
- line a large oven sized baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray liberally
- "rice" eggplant in food processor in small batches, pulsing, process 5 cubes to a crumble, remove to Tupperware, repeat with the rest of the eggplant. the small batches ensure a fine crumble without over processing which would end up in mush. If you find some large pieces remain, set them aside and process briefly at the end.
- spread the riced eggplant on the baking sheet, in roughly a 1/4 inch layer, even if it does not cover the entire sheet this is fine, if you spread out too thinly, it will burn.
- spray the eggplant liberally with cooking oil
- put into oven for 15 minutes
- remove, flip around, pulling more done pieces towards middle, spray again and return to oven for 5 minutes
- at this point it is done, but i like to flip again spray lightly and bake 5 more minutes for a crispier eggplant rice :) check it out at the 20 minute mark and decide for yourself.
- once you take it out, sprinkle with salt and pepper and it is ready to serve.
you can eat this just like that, or make my zero carb fried rice recipe & use the eggplant rice in place of the Shirataki rice. you can add this to pasta sauces for a thicker "meaty" texture, or even add this to fresh salads for crunch & added roasted flavor.