A rustic homemade tomato sauce in only 20 minutes with only 6 ingredients!!! An Incredible hearty flavor for very little effort!
Difficulty level: beginner
Equipment needed: none
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
What you need:
- 10 oz mini Roma cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise , which is basically one container of Cherub (brand) mini tomatoes. Mini Romas are best here because they are a dryer yet more flavorful tomato. You can however use any cherry tomatoes... make this sauce extra pretty and use heirloom colored tomatoes.
- 1 large garlic clove sliced into very thin slices lengthwise
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp salt (& some black pepper if you wish)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves finey chopped (lightly packed)
- 1 tbsp broth
What to do
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- line and grease a sheet pan with foil
- toss tomatoes garlic oil salt in a Tupperware.
- this is an important step: take the garlic slices and put them in a close sungle layer right in the middle of the sheet pan
- pour tomatoes over the garlic and flip them all cut side down, in aingle layer, not too packed, but DO make sure the garlic is all covered by tomatoes
- put the sheet pan into the oven at the top, very close to broil element (this is usually second to last top rack)
- close oven door and turn on broil. We will be using the broiler for the reat of the cooking.
- broil for 10 minutes
- open oven door, if any tomatoes look a lil burnt, remove them to Tupperware, set aside, close door and continue broiling 5 more minutes.
- remove from oven, immediately transfer tomatoes to Tupperware with lid, add tbsp broth and close lid. After 5 minutes, uncover, add fresh basil leaves and Voila!!! Homemade flavor packed super healthy tomato sauce!!!
This recipe yields 1 cup full of deliciousness, i always double this recipe when i make it.
A large oven sized sheet pan easily accomodates a double batch :)