Beautiful broccolini and oyster mushrooms are the highlight of this rustic recipe, reminiscent of Tuscan cooking.
Simple ingredients brought together in a delicious way.
This can be simplified into an elegant vegetable dish by just cooking the broccolini and mushrooms as instructed and omitting the onions and white beans, but if you have time, this is an effort well worth making... yumm! ;)
difficulty level : beginner
equipment needed: none
what you need:
- 2 bunches broccolini stem ends trimmed
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms torn into large pieces by hand. you can absolutely substitute with crimini mushrooms. however these days in some markets you can find oyster mushrooms that are cheaper per pound the regular crimini mushrooms, and oyster mushrooms have such a beautiful mushroom woodsy flavor.
- 1 small onion, cut in half, then sliced thinly into half rings.
- 1 clove garlic finely grated or finely chopped
- 1 can canellini white beans rinsed and drained. you can also use kidney beans, black beans etc.
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil (any high heat oil) divided in 3
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 tsp salt divided into 3
- 6 tbsp vegetable broth
what to do:
- preheat oven 425 degrees
- grease a large Pyrex baking dish (lasagna sized)
- line a large baking sheet with foil and lightly grease
- in a Tupperware toss the mushroom with 1/2 tbsp oil mix gently with hands, spread in one layer in Pyrex dish, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt
- toss brocolini with 1/2 tbsp oil and mix with hands, spread in single layer on lined baking sheet, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt
- place both broccolini and mushrooms into oven
- broccolini will be done in 10 minutes, remove from oven and set aside
- roast mushrooms for 20 min, flip them and cook an additional 10 minutes
- preheat 12" non stick pan on medium high
- add remaining 1/2 tbsp avocado oil and add onions, sautee onions for roughly 8 minutes until nicely browned. every 2 minutes, deglaze pan with 1 tbsp broth.
- add beans, continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- move beans and onions to sides of pan, in middle of pan add 1 tsp olive oil and garlic, sautee 30-60 seconds until fragrant but not browned; deglaze pan with 2 tbsp broth, add broccolini and mushrooms, mix well and cook 2 more minutes. remove from heat and add fresh parsley
This is a hearty side dish, add protein of choice or just enjoy by itself.