This is a very lightly sweet quick bread, that works wonderfully with sweet or savory meals. This recipe is vegan, but you can easily make this bread savory by adding a 1/4 cup of cheese; also it can be transformed into a sweet breakfast bread by adding some cinnamon and dried cranberries and a touch more stevia.
Difficulty level: beginner
- loaf pan
- cheese grater (for sweet potato)
What you need:
- 1.5 cups gluten free all purpose flour. I like Bob's Red Mills.
- 1 cup teff flour (you can skip this and use any other gluten free grain, oat flour, Buckwheat, millet etc)
- *1/2 tbsp dry nutritional (inactive) yeast, *optional for a slightly cheesy flavor
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts pieces
- 1 15 oz can sweet potato, if you have homemade cooked mashed sweet potato simply use 15 oz
- 1/2 cup raw finely grated sweet potato
- 2 "vegan eggs": 2 tbsp flax seed meal with 5 tbsp hot water, mix and let stand at least 5 min. *yes you can just use 2 regular eggs if not vegan.
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil or avocado oil
what to do:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- grease a standard loaf pan
- combine flax seed meal with water and set aside for 5 minutes
- combine all other wet ingredients with chia seeds; coconut milk, oils, apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. the acidity in the vinegar will turn the coconut milk into " yogurt".
- combine wet ingredients and flax meal and mix well
- add grated raw sweet potato and cooked sweet potato to wet mixture, mix well and set aside.
- combine all dry ingredients and walnuts in a large bowl, mix well with a whisk, letting the flours baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast and stevia distribute evenly.
- slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir with large spatula, keep stirring until a sticky mixture forms with no dry flour visible.
- let the mixture sit 5 minutes to combine then stir one more time.
- pour dough into loaf pan, sprinkle dough with some extra chia seeds and some extra walnut pieces (optional) or pumpkin seeds; brush lightly with a bit of oil.
- put into oven and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees
- reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40 minutes more.
- reduce temperature to 300 degrees bake 10 minutes more
- remove loaf pan from oven, let sit for 5 minutes then remove from pan and let cool on cooling rack at least 10 minutes.
this is a hearty gluten free quick bread that is so easy to make, please don't eat that sawdust-like gluten free bread from the store ;)