This creamy dairy free soup has minimal ingredients but a ton of satisfying flavor.
At only 83 calories per serving (a whole cup!) this is a great way to fill up without loading up on calories.
difficulty level: beginner
equipment needed: none
what you need:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cashews, quick soaked in hot water for at least 30 min then drained.
- 1 medium beet, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth works well too)
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp avocado oil divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2x 1/2 tsp salt divided
what to do:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- line large baking sheet with parchment or foil, lightly grease
- toss cauliflower and beets with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt
- spread cauliflower and beets onto baking sheet in single layer.
- bake in oven bake 20min
- remove from oven, toss around mixing, spread out and bake an extra 10 minutes
- preheat large (soup) saucepan on medium high, add 1/2 tbsp oil
- add onions and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to saucepan and cook stirring for 5-7 minutes until onions are browned and translucent.
- add broth to onions in saucepan, reduce heat to medium.
- once cauliflower and beets are ready, remove from oven and add to onions and broth
- bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- remove saucepan from heat, carefully transfer contents of saucepan to Vitamix (any blender), make sure cover is secure, hot liquid splashing around not a good idea! ;)
- whirl in Vitamix for at least 1 minute.
- taste, add slat and pepper according to preference and add 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- whirl soup around an additional minute until nice and silky
you can serve this soup at any temperature it is so satisfying, frankly it is addictive :)