Soba noodles are traditionally made entirely from Buckwheat, this makes using them a great way to add gluten free whole grains to your diet.
When buying Soba, look at the ingredients, as many brands try to sneak in wheat and actually use more wheat then buckwheat in their noodles; skip those!
This recipe can easily be made with quinoa, rice, any type of noodle of choice, as long as you cook the grain/noodles ahead to be ready to use in the recipe.
I must give a nod to another "Avocado Pesto food blog: for this recipe's inspiration :)
difficulty level: advanced beginner
equipment needed: a 12" non stick pan, preferably ceramic
what you need:
- 3 oz dry soba noodles
- i pot of boiling salted water
- a colander
for stir fry:
- two 10oz bags of organic sugar snap peas trimmed. to trim the peas hold a paring knife in one hand and the sugar snap in the other, with the inside curve of the pod facing you. Sever the top of the pea and pull off the tough string that runs along the length of the pod. (Sometimes stores have already trimmed the string saving you this step). once trimmed slice each snap pea in half lengthwise.
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or grated
- 6 ounces shiitake, sliced stems removed (or crimini mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp high heat cooking oil, divided in 3
- 1/2 tbsp broth or water
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion chopped
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp powdered stevia
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
what to do:
- add soba noodles to pot of boiling salted water, only cook 5 minutes. yes the instructions on the package say 6-8 minute, ignore that :) as we will be cooking the noodles a bit again once they are added to the stir fry.
- after 5 minutes have passed, quickly drain pot into colander, run cold water over the noodles and mix/separate them gently with your hands to avoid noodle clumps. (yes running them under cold water is fine, as these are not wheat noodles).
for stir fry:
- preheat 12" non stick pan on medium high about 3 minutes
- add 1/3 tbsp of the cooking oil
- add shallots and saute till lightly browned 2-3 minutes
- keep the shallots in the pan, but move them to the side, in the center of pan add 1/3 tbsp oil, add garlic and ginger, mix with shallots and saute 1.5 minutes; then remove from pan and set aside.
- add remaining 1/3 tbsp oil, then add shiitake, mix with oil and spread out in pan, cook 5 minutes until nicely browned, flipping and moving mushrooms every minute or so.
- add snap peas and 1/2 tbsp broth or water; saute for an additional 2-3 minutes, until snap peas begin to turn bright green.
- now add the noodles and sauce and mix everything together in the pan for 1-2 minutes.
- remove from heat
- sprinkle with cilantro and green onions
top this stir fry with protein of choice, or just enjoy by itself :) yumm!