A healthy delicious & satisfying soup :) great served hot or cold.
This recipe makes a good amount, i always freeze at least half of the soup, and eat the other half all week long.
You know that moment when you get home... you are STARVING... and you reach out for "all things bad" in your fridge and pantry... stuff your face, then make dinner! Yepp we have all been there! This soup is your secret weapon! you get home... and... you eat a big bowl of this super low calorie & healthy soup while you cook dinner :) crisis averted!!
Ok ok here's the recipe:
Difficulty level: beginner
Equipment needed: Vitamix (any blender)
What you need:
- 3 small heads of organic cauliflower
cauliflower (or 2 medium) chopped up into
- 1 1/4 cup frozen organic spinach You can absolutely use fresh, just use 2 cups if fresh.
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth +1/2 cup extra in case you like your soup a bit less thick
- 1 large sweet/vidalia onion cut. into 1/8 slices length wise (regular onion is fine too)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided.
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil or any other high heat oil
What to do:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- line a large baking sheet (oven sized) with foil, lightly grease.
- toss cauliflower & onion slices with 1/2 tbsp avocado oil and 1/2 tsp salt and spread in a single layer on baking sheet.
- let cook roughly 30min until edges of vegetables look slightly browned but not burnt.
- once you take the veggies out of the oven, immediately (and carefully! Don't burn yourself) take corners of foil up folding it on the veggies, wrapping them and closing the foil into a sealed pouch. Let the veggies stay this way at least 10 minutes. This steams them and you therefore cut an extra cooking step. Love a short cut!! :)
- Meanwhile put spinach in a sauce pan with 1/4 cup of the broth and over medium high heat make sure spinach is thawed and cooked through. This should take maximum 5min. With fresh spinach it shoukd take 2 or 3 max.
- place 1/2 the cauliflower & onions with half the spinach, 1/8 cup of the cashews and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 1 1/4 cup broth and whirl away in your Vitamix until soup is perfectly smooth in texture. If you find you need to use your tamper a lot, add more broth, one 1/4 at a time.
- taste and add salt and pepper to your preference.
- keep adjusting flavor and consistency by adding a bit of broth or salt and pepper if needed, while soup is still in blender, after each adjustment blend soup again for an extra 20 seconds.
- empty blender into large Tupperware & repeat process with other half of ingredients mix both batches together in the Tupperware.
And voila an incredibly healthy tasty creamy guilt free soup :)